Saturday, January 23, 2010

Living Tribute ~ Lyn Coody

It's difficult to write this, but in the light of so many of my friends and family going to heaven before me... I feel we should start giving tribute to the living... while they are still here.  To know how much we love them, how much they helped us in our journey and that whomever God chooses to take first, we'll know that our last handshake here on earth, really was not our last.

I can't wait to meet my loved ones in heaven.  To have endless time to sit and reminisce about all the good times past and an eternity to make memories of all the good times to come.

I really don't know Lyn that well and when you consider our off and on meetings through the years, we really haven't known each other that long, but when I heard that she was sick again, I felt I had to get a message to her, so I sent a message through facebook.  I imagined that she was not able to talk much since her last post to facebook mentioned being very tired visiting with cousins, but "it's been worth every minute".

Our original meeting was through our parents over Thanksgiving dinner.  My parents had just moved next door shortly after my father was diagnosed with leukemia so that he could be closer to the church.  To be perfectly honest, I was not looking forward to this meal very much.  I really did not know this family since I didn't live with my parents and was busy with odd shift work at the phone company.  I had also been warned that their neighbors had a non-traditional meal of quail.

My Dad was a hunter, and through my childhood we ate a lot of meat that Dad hunted.  Eating "bunny" just broke my heart and the large game Dad hunted just didn't taste good... it tasted "gamey".  At any rate, I had been raised to be grateful, appreciative and keep my thoughts to myself.  So, as the dutiful daughter, I crossed the yard with my parents for Thanksgiving dinner.  I imagine my brother was there as well, but probably left after dinner to join his friends in watching a ballgame on TV.

Imagine my surprise when we walked in to the aroma of a wonderful meal.  The table was set beautifully and we were introduced to the Coody's daughter, Lyn who was already setting food on the table.  There was much conversation and explanation as to how this became their traditional Thanksgiving meal as the food was passed.  Last was the turkey, I mean quail.  It reminded me of cornish hen cooked in a sauce.

I have to say, it was the best meal I have ever eaten at Thanksgiving.  Lyn's dad, Darwin knows how to hunt and her mom, Marie knows how to cook.

Dad and Darwin probably talked about hunting the rest of the day, and although Lyn and I were in the living area where our mother's were talking away, we had our own little conversation getting to know about each other as much as you can in a couple of hours. 

We were invited back the following Thanksgiving and I really looked forward to it.  Lyn and I had not seen each other that year, but continued our conversation, mostly catching up on our employment.  I believe Lyn's sister was there that year.

Years went by, and the only news I had of Lyn or her sister were in conversation with Marie.  Darwin and Marie spent a lot of time visiting at the hospital and the house through my Dad's illnesses.  There were times that they were out helping me find Dad's dog, or preparing the outside faucets for the dreaded freeze that was coming.  I remember Marie calling a couple of times when she knew I was house sitting with the dog and inviting me to dinner.  Such a nice, helpful family. 

They prayed with us for Dad to be granted a healing from this terrible disease and the ill effects of the treatment.  I remember asking Marie once, "how do I know if God's answer is no?"  (I knew that the ultimate healing was heaven, but selfishly wanted my Dad with us as long as possible.) 

Marie told me, God himself would let me know when it was time to let go and she went on to tell me of her little boy.  She prayed for him to be healed.  One day, while holding him on her porch, she felt God let her know, it was time to let go.

Through the years, as I've prayed for friends and family to be healed, I've thought of the conversation I had with Marie.  I've prayed that God would help me "listen" as I prayed, so that I could "hear" his answer.  Although the answer is not always what WE want, it is the answer just the same.  That time came with my father.  Dad kept saying he was going "home" and I knew he didn't mean "the house".  There was such peace, no more pain or suffering... and the JOY of knowing we would meet at God's house the next time we met.

Soon after Dad's death, our pastor's wife started a bible study on Wednesday evenings.  I was going through a difficult situation at work and the bible study came just in time.  I had difficult decisions to make.  The first evening I walked in, there was Lyn talking to some of my friends.  They had known each other better and longer than Lyn and I, but we all sat at the same table and as the weeks progressed, we all seemed to become prayer partners, at that table.

The first night, Jeanne asked all of us to write down a prayer request.  It could be as personal and specific as we wanted because, nobody including her would see them.  They were put in a box and we prayed over the box for each request inside, but at the end of the sessions, the box was burned along with our burdens.

I had already shared with Lyn most of what was happening before we did this, but she was the only one who knew.  She kept it private, but each week would reach over to me to see if things were better and I'm happy to say, although the situation was still tough, my decision about how I should handle it became easier as the weeks went on.  I came to a decision, that if it took giving up my job to keep my christian integrity, I would.  God blessed me beyond measure... I never had to leave my job.  In fact, I was rewarded on three occasions after that for work above and beyond anything I ever could have imagined.

I only saw Lyn a handful of times after that, but I always thanked God for this friend who had come into my life when I needed a friend who knew and believed in the power of prayer.  The next big decision I had to make was regarding whether or not I should move out of state to keep my job when our OKC office closed.

Memories of conversations with Marie and Lyn, as well as their prayers came flooding back and I knew that in the most difficult times of my life, God had always been faithful.

The next Sunday, as I walked down to my "usual" seat, the choir was singing "Great is thy faithfulness".  We were to let our supervisors know our final decision the next morning.  For the next 8 years, I lived and worked in Jacksonville, FL and never had a doubt, I was in the right place for that time.

My first Sunday back in Bethany, I was walking down the sidewalk with my Mom and Lyn was walking toward us.  Mom stopped and said, "Grace, I forgot to tell you Lyn had a kidney removed recently" and we both waited as Lyn assured us with a bright smile that she was feeling better than she had in a long time.  I've seen Lyn off and on through the last few years.

Last Sunday, I heard the news that Lyn's name was on the prayer list as having cancer.  I immediately checked facebook and could tell there had been very few entries in or out,  Lyn's most recent entry implied that a group of her cousins were visiting and she was happy but tired.  Her info page indicated she was now living with her parents and had stage 4 renal carcinoma.

I knew she must be very sick and may not feel like talking, so I sent a private message with my phone number.

Lyn replied,  "Thanks for the prayers. I am stage 4 and very critical,  but not quite ready for hospice. So we are making the most of the GOOD days and doing our best on the others..

I am not on fb much and I don't make many phone calls... just don't want you think i am ignoring you or anything... but I will stay in touch as best I can.  My stamina is down to just a few minutes." (Lyn Coody January 19 at 7:55pm)

I replied with a few sentences letting her know I understand, but mainly I would be asking my blog readers to pray for her as well.... "I just want you to know I'm thinking of you and sending up prayers on your behalf. If there is anything specific you would like my readers to pray for, just let me know. Otherwise, I am asking prayers for a "friend" unless you tell me it is okay to list you by name. (Grace Smith January 19 at 11:11pm)

Lyn replied back to let me know it was okay to use her name as well as an additional prayer request for her family, "You may use my name. Thanks for the prayers, friend, and for Mother & Daddy, care-giving for a child is hard enough but Mother just turned 85 years old. I do covet your prayers, friends!" {{{{{hugs}}}}
(Lyn Coody January 21 at 1:17pm)

My last message back to Lyn, "I pray tonight for peace, rest and comfort. I know this must be a difficult time for all of you. You are a special child of God. I don't understand why you have to go through this, and I know God can still heal you.  Again, I am available for whatever you need.... even "how" and "what" you wish for in the way we pray."  (Grace Smith January 22 at 9:06pm)

Lyn may not have the strength to reply again, but we can all continue to pray as she has requested.  You can send comments to Lyn and her family at the end of this post.  She will see them when she refers to the blog.  If you are a close friend or family member, continue to communicate as you have been.  I am only doing this as a way of getting news out to friends, such as myself, that did not realize Lyn's health was declining.

We love you, friend!

I hope you enjoy this song: "Home"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBQazCC5K8s&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment