Saturday, December 26, 2009

Home where I belong (includes link to song by same title)

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were spent alone in my cozy little apartment.  Now, don't feel sorry for me.... I said "alone", not "lonely".

Oklahoma City had history breaking weather.  Ice, followed by sleet and then blowing snow made for some of the most beautiful scenery of sparkling drifts, IF you were safely indoors.  For travelers trying to make it to thier destinations for Christmas, it was dangerous and slow going.  Even for metro shoppers, the winds were up to 50 mph and literally blowing cars sideways across the ice that was hidden under the snow and then trapping many  in snowdrifts. 

Snowplows and emergency vehicles were finding it difficult to do thier jobs with so many abandoned vehicles blocking the roadways.  People started running out of gas and hotels filled to capacity, but the kindness of many Oklahomans shined through the bleak weather as some opened thier homes to strangers and shared whatever they had.  Mostly, a warm, safe place to shelter until the storm passed over.

It reminded me of Mary and Joseph as they desperately found "no room at th Inn", but were just thankful to find a stable for shelter as they prepared for the birth of thier son who is our Saviour.  I thought of Jesus and how he later "calmed the storm with his hand".

I reflected on how thankful I was that my brother made it safely home to his family from our Uncle's memorial in Savannah, GA before the storm started.

As it turned out, Jim's family tried to spend Christmas Eve with Lori's family about 10 miles away (maybe less), but after trying 2 streets had to return home due to the traffic and road conditions.  I had planned to spend Christmas Eve with Mom, who is about 3 blocks from my apartment, but couldn't walk on the icy sidewalk to my car and could see from my patio that snow drifts were blocking the back of my car as well as being halfway up the side of my door.  As it turned out, Jim and Lori were able to spend Christmas Day with her family.

I stayed "home, where I belong".... that's why I'm attaching a song by that title.  It reminds me of my Dad, more than our weather situation.  He has been in heaven, which he called "home" for 24 years now.

Song: Home where I belong
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP6QG_pJuSM

Please continue to pray for the Griffis family as they spend thier 1st Christmas without John.  I've added his wife's blog to my blog list with her permission if you would like to follow.  She said, "the more prayer, the better".

No comments:

Post a Comment