So many times, just hearing words go right over my head. But, when the words are set to music, I get it!
In the past year our family has lost so many friends and family to death. The holidays are tough anyway since almost all our family members have died near a holiday of some sort. My Dad died the day after Thanksgiving 24 years ago, my mother's father around Veteran's Day the year before, one grandmother Memorial Day and the other Labor Day. My Sister-in-law also lost her Dad right after Thanksgiving about 2 years ago.
Just before Thanksgiving, my brother lost one of his best friend's and the day after his funeral, our Uncle Milton (M.H.) passed away early the next morning. It was also the first Thanksgiving for my mother's other sister and family without Uncle Ray who died earlier this year. Both of these men were very special in our lives. (I became very close to them while I worked in Florida for 8 years.)
We are in grief, our hearts break, not only for the ones we have lost but for thier families and for each other. The wonderful memories come flooding back, and although they make us smile for awhile, it hurts. Even though we believe in a loving God, we wonder why.
I am reminded today through music, that our family and friends that have gone before us are rejoicing in heaven, free of pain and suffering. They are celebrating Christ's birth this Christmas in a way we can only imagine. They don't even have to shop for gifts or cook Christmas Dinner! Thier gift was provided when they walked through heaven's gates and the dinner was already prepared.
I didn't realize how many songs have been written about grief, sorrow, heaven and the promise of a better tomorrow, until my brother's friend died. He was a husband, father, teacher, attorney, coach and more!
He was well loved by his family, friends, students, fellow teachers, community and church.
I have been in much prayer for his family. They have 4 children who are all grieving in different ways. His wife who struggles with her own grief while continuing to raise these children with great love and compassion. His parents who I am sure are wondering why God would take thier dear son before them and his sister who must be worrying about her parents and brother's family, while dealing with her own grief.
It has been a wake up call for me to pray and call upon the scriptures. Even though my disability has made me feel so useless, God has reminded me that I can pray without ceasing. I can pick up the phone and call a friend who needs encouragement and communicate with long distance friends and family electronically.
As I have strived to do this, God has brought so many songs to mind that speak the words better than I ever could. Music speaks to my heart. So, as soon as I figure out how to do it, I will be posting some of them on this blog. That way you can refer to them if you want or disregard if you don't.
To my friends who haven't heard from me recently. I'm sorry I've been out of touch, but I will be back. I can't wait until I can meet for those early dinners on Friday nights again. It's good to know that even though we don't see each other often, we can pick right up when we do meet again. You are special people in my life.
I'm excited that I will get to meet with an old friend tomorrow that I have not seen in 16 years. Really, she's not that old, as in age but in that we've known each other a long time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment